The Munch Museum

The Munch Museum opened its doors to the public in 1963, 100 years after the birth of the artist. The museum is designed by the architects Gunnar Fougner and Einar Myklebust. Einar Myklebust was also the architect who carried out an important enlargement and rehabilitation that was inaugurated in 1994, 50 years after the artist’s death. The original museum was financed by the surplus income of Oslo Cinemas. The last building phase was financed through a contract with the Japanese company Idemitsu Kosan Co. Ltd.

Edvard Munch died in 1944 and bequeathed a substantial part of his considerable artistic work to the Municipality of Oslo. The gift consisted of about 1100 paintings, 15500 graphic works covering 700 subjects, 4700 drawings, as well as six sculptures. There were, in addition, pressure plates, books, notebooks, documents, photographs, work tools and sundries. Inger Munch, Edvard Munch’s sister, later bequeathed a sizable collection of private correspondence as well as some important works from the 1880s to the same recipient.

The Munch Museum holds an exceptional position internationally and has the world’s foremost expertise on Edvard Munch.

Grev Wedels Plass Auctions has access to the Munch Museum’s expertise as it is situated so close to the museum, and all works received for valuation or to be sold by us will be submitted to the museum for verification and registration before they are catalogued.